This Investigative Assistant Intern position is located within the Criminal Investigations Division: Homicide/Robbery Unit. The purpose of the Investigative Assistant Intern is to provide direct assistance to the detectives in the Homicide/Robbery Unit, Burglary/Larceny Unit, and the Special Victims Unit.
- Interns will be directly involved with interviewing victims and witnesses in a variety of cases such as assaults, threats, missing persons, domestic assaults, larcenies, and other property crimes.
- Interns will be provided with an orientation and guidance on how to conduct interviews and investigate each case with the assigned detective.
- This internship will acquaint the student with the investigative process while being a part of the investigations.
- Interns will conduct interviews, document statements, and provide input to the detectives regarding the case disposition.
- An intern’s work may lead to identifying suspects to be prosecuted.
Interns accepted for this assignment will complete the process with investigative experience. The intern will develop strategies and make recommendations to the detectives. The intern will work closely with the detectives throughout the investigative process. The detectives will involve the intern in all phases of the investigation.
- Police Polygraph Exam
- Background Investigation
Check with your school’s Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.
Fall Term: July 1st
Spring Term: October 1st
Summer Term: March 1st
Minimum 20 hours per week (Monday-Friday during normal business hours)
Location and Contact:
Arlington County Police Department
1425 N. Courthouse Road
Arlington, VA 22201
Email the Intern Coordinator: POLInterns@arlingtonva.us
For more information: